Monday 29 April 2013

THE WANT: STEPHEN KENN INHERITANCE COLLECTION

Stephen-Kenn-Inheritance-Collection.jpg
Want NEED this. Retail stores are one of my biggest sources of inspiration, so a few months ago when I was in a J Crew store I snapped a picture of what I thought was a really cool, simple, couch. Further aimless internet searching eventually led me to figure out exactly what this cool creation was: a couch designed by Stephen Kenn from his Inheritance Collection

J-Crew-Couch.jpg
The couch in question. This couch is so PUNK ROCK.

Basically Stephen Kenn is perfect - a really cool, young and handsome furniture designer from L.A. who probably spends most of his time making cool things and brooding. Check out his website for a cool glimpse into his philosophy behind the Inheritance Collection and to catch some dreamy scenes of him on his motorcycle. 

(*Note to self: get a motorcycle).

The couches are rugged and utilitarian, using basic welding for the frame, straps and harnesses for the support, and cushions covered in reclaimed WWII military material. 
Stephen-Kenn-Couch.jpgStephen-Kenn-Loveseat.jpg
Military-Couch.jpg
The material is surprisingly soft to touch, and the grommets up close have this awesome quality as they are a bit beaten up and worn. Also, the material is blemished and imperfect, with some patches and spots which only adds to the look. 
Stephen-Kenn-Chair-Ottoman.jpg
Military-Chair.jpg
When I originally took the picture of the J Crew couch, I thought to myself that this would be a pretty simply DIY. I still think so, and am strongly considering making this a summer project for myself. 

Naturally, these couches don't come cheap; the biggest sectional costs an even $5000. But I'm pretty confident I could throw together the loveseat for a fraction of that.

My hypothesis:

-Get a super basic frame professionally welded
-Pick up some army material from the local Army Surplus store
-Purchase some foam
-Get some harnessing strap
-Pick up some brown leather belts and SLAP 'ER ALL TOGETHER.

Probably, they won't turn out quite as beautiful as this:
Metal-Frame-Chair.jpg
Harness-Straps-Chair.jpg
...but in a video on the website Mr. Kenn explains that he is glad to reveal the process (although probably not so people can rip him off), and this picture also gives a few hints.  

Stephen-Kenn.jpg

What do you think? Can I do it?!


To infinity and beyond. 

bZd



No comments:

Post a Comment