Wednesday 7 May 2014

CONCRETE WALLS

Maybe this whole industrial thing is getting a bit out of hand, but I have to say that I am pretty into the prevalence of concrete lurking from all corners lately.

Concrete tables, DIY concrete planters, inefficient lightbulbs, you name it!

Mostly, I have spent my days dreaming about concrete walls:






...Catchin' my drift?

I've been working on a large scale project for the last couple of months, and the client wanted an industrial look in what is currently a very dated, plain space which is void of any character.

I wanted to combine the classic elements of exposed brick, industrial lighting, etc. but also couldn't escape the idea of concrete walls

There are now wallpapers that exist which are shockingly realistic (albeit quite expensive) but can easily achieve this look. Due to the size of the space I'm working with, I was worried that even the slightest glimpse of a wallpaper seam would spoil the whole effect. 

What I have wondered about - and I am almost positive this is what I have seen in some retail/hospitality spaces - is if it is possible to apply a thin coat of very fine, high quality concrete (the kind used for countertops) spread evenly over drywall or any surface to create the appearance of a wall made entirely of concrete.

That is what this woman has written a little tutorial about, and it seemed to work out pretty well! (Although, not really the same kind of look I'm going for.)

I think we are going to be brave and attempt this in my current project, and if I don't re revert back to my complete blog neglect then I will try to report how it goes. 

I leave you with a textural image of concrete to get your creative juices flowing:


How can you incorporate concrete into your space?

bZd

No comments:

Post a Comment